Some Real Crazy Blogging!!!

29 August, 2009

August 14, 2006

A lot of old memories are running through my minds, and so... expect a lot of OLD posts now...

It always starts with those good old childhood days... You are always very excited to visit the workplace... Because you don't work... Your dad does! He brings you in through the office gate, and the watchmen smiles and asks your name... You enter the office, and the chai-walla asks, whether you would like to have a Gold-Spot or a Limca (GoldSpot remains my favorite!) Dad then proudly shows you his work area... A wooden chair, A wooden table laden with paper files, God's and family photos, and an inkpot! Fan-on-top if you work, and an additional table-fan if you get promoted! He then takes you around introducing to all the people in the way, and then to the room for Cold Storage, and you experience that first wave of some device called Air Conditioner, and you adore it! And you wonder, when will I get my room with cool air around me?

And then years pass on... Cafeteria servings become food, Smart people become dudes, Coca-Cola becomes Coke... and you graduate!

It was 14-Aug-2006. With the perception of a normal (government like, where babus sit - with wooden chair&table and fan on top) in mind, I walked inside with pride... (Imagine the musical score from Black, the movie)... and it seems like a dream come true...

Moving from Mumbai to Pune, was then, my worst decision... which turned out to be the best eventually... I even considered going back, just to be with the family, and take up the offer which paid exactly 50% of what this company offered... My roommate then and office colleague now, even suspects tears in my eyes, when I bade my family goodbye on that first day... :)

Coming back to the musical score from Black...
You observe most of the things, that seem ridiculous:

- The floor covered in glossy-reflecting-shining granite, and you have a look at your local-branded shoes!
- (Non-artificial) Plants leaves are wiped clean using water and a napkin
- The intersecting joins within a staircase, being cleaned by a tooth-brush
- Free Food (Includes breakfast, lunch, snacks, fruits, beverages - This surprises some of my friends, even today)
- Free travel services
- The Hotel Accomodation charges bill amounting to Rs.40,000/- for 15 days.
- A separate Table Tennis, Billiards, and a TV room.
- No Dress Code (Wore a shirt exactly twice in 3 years while in office - once when interviewed, other when went to onsite for the first time)
- Tissue Papers everywhere
- Good looking girls (However, either committed or in the neighboring projects!)

After coming over the surprises, you start with your first day at work... but you feel no different... The Induction lecture starts... but you listen this time around...

Few days pass by, and then... your first salary arrives! Nothing seems to match this feeling... you have earned it! Then you go to the ATM, take out your first bill of 100Rupee Note, and laminate it to remember it for the rest of your life...

And this is how it all started... three years back!

7 comments:

Akshay Surve said...

Manav, this was a good read. Even I would always opt fo the GoldSpot ;)

Unknown said...

One of your best till date

Arshat Chaudhary said...

thr exists such a company? dude? tell me.. where do u work? utopia Inc?

Sandy said...

Wow.. Nice one. Made me nostalgic. :|

Rambler said...

Congratulations on successful(?) completion of three years in IT. I felt the same this year when I completed 4 years. Can't believe I have been doing this thing for 4 years now!!!!

Megha said...

Verrrryyy nice!!!

Unknown said...

:D

Breaking conventional ground to create another convention ;)
Nice post ya..